None of the cases of cutaneous anthrax has died.
We are waiting for the health authority to come for autopsy in order to make a final diagnosis on the two deadly cases.
Anthrax in Greek means black according to the colour of the escar. It is a disease of domestic herbivores caused by the bacteria Bacillus anthracis which lives in topsoil and is ingested by the animals when grazing.
Humans acquire infections by direct inoculation of spores through breaks in the skin, by inhalation of spores or by ingestion of contaminated meat. Human to human transmission is extremely rare but possible. For example by sharing shaving brushes or towels.
In our areas anthrax is common but present. We had another small outbreak 2 years ago normally we have only cutaneous anthrax.
When diagnosis is made on time the treatment is easy: penicillin remains the proven drug of choice and it is best given intravenously in sick patients. Otherwise i.m penicillin or oral amoxicillin may be satisfactory.
The only tool we have for prevention is to encourage people not to eat meat of animals that become ill or die.