mercoledì 12 agosto 2015

The big brother


Today I have received a woman who wanted to thank me very much because I had made a diagnosis of carcinoma of the cervix to her, and through my help she was able to receive chemotherapy and radiotherapy in Nairobi. She was not sick and she did not need any treatment. She was looking very happy and she has high hopes of being completely healed.
She told me that she had gone to many other doctors showing to them my reports about her cancer and the operation we did in Chaaria.
Unfortunately some colleagues were despising my reports saying that they are sub-standard. Therefore they wanted tests to be repeated all together. But the patient had many financial problems and she could not afford to repeat all the investigations.
She actually took courage and went directly to Nairobi with my referral letter: there, nobody told her that our documents were substandard; the documents were taken into good consideration and helped her very much to follow through the process of getting admitted for chemotherapy and radiotherapy. 
 

Although I am very used to such comments about Chaaria, I must admit that any time I hear them, I feel some pain.
At the same time I console myself with the words of another doctor who is my good friend. He says that our “big brothers” (thinking of the famous reality show) are the patients and what really matters is their opinion about our hospital… and when I see the wards so full, I really think that our patients appreciate us a lot.
Some people may be against us: was it not the same even for Jesus?
But we think positive and we look at the patients we actually help.

Bro Beppe Gaido
 
 

Nessun commento:


Chaaria è un sogno da realizzare giorno per giorno.

Un luogo in cui vorrei che tutti i poveri e gli ammalati venissero accolti e curati.

Vorrei poter fare di più per questa gente, che non ha nulla e soffre per malattie facilmente curabili, se solo ci fossero i mezzi.

Vorrei smetterla di dire “vai altrove, perché non possiamo curarti”.

Anche perché andare altrove, qui, vuol dire aggiungere altra fatica, altro sudore, altro dolore, per uomini, donne e bambini che hanno già camminato per giorni interi.

E poi, andare dove?

Gli ospedali pubblici hanno poche medicine, quelli privati sono troppo costosi.

Ecco perché penso, ostinatamente, che il nostro ospedale sia un segno di speranza per questa gente. Non ci sarà tutto, ma facciamo il possibile. Anzi, l’impossibile.

Quello che mi muove, che ci muove, è la carità verso l’altro, verso tutti. Nessuno escluso.

Gesù ci ha detto di essere presenti nel più piccolo e nel più diseredato.

Questo è quello che facciamo, ogni giorno.


Fratel Beppe Gaido


Guarda il video....