domenica 4 settembre 2011

Extreme violence



It is 10 PM and I am very tired because the day started very early, at 5.30 AM, for an emergency Caesarean section. Since then I have not been able to find a minute for myself.
I have finished the last round of the day and the wards are calm; therefore I am already dreaming of the moment I will be in bed.
But just when I am about to leave the hospital, I hear a terrible noise in the waiting bay and I see a group of men pushing a stretcher, upon which, a patient is lying in a state of unconsciousness. He is covered in blood and I can see multiple deep cuts of the face and skull. But what is more alarming is a stab wound to the abdomen from which a lot of bleeding and dirty intestine comes out.
I have no choice and I must plan for an emergency operation. Fortunately the anaesthest is available and we can enter theatre after about 20 minutes: the minimum necessary time to clean the man who is completely soaked with mud.
We apply warm water to try to resuscitate the protruding guts, but after opening the abdomen we realized that the knife had been able to badly cut the intestine in at least 3 points.
In spite of the difficult working conditions we succeeded in repairing the gut, to wash the peritoneum and to suture all the nasty cuts of the head. After the operation and up to now the patient is stable, he has a tube in his nostrils and another one in the abdomen, but he is conscious.
I could not really imagine being able to save that life.
What makes me wonder is the fact that the man was attacked by his own brother, for a petty discussion about land ownership.
After cutting his brother, what has that person achieved?
If the patient dies, he will go to jail and the land will not belong to him anyway!
If the patient does not die, he will probably retaliate and the brothers will not talk to one another for the rest of their lives.
It is nearly one in the morning, and when I leave the hospital for a bit of sleep, I think that violence and evil doing can never give anything good to anybody.
 
Br. Giuseppe Gaido



Nessun commento:


Chaaria è un sogno da realizzare giorno per giorno.

Un luogo in cui vorrei che tutti i poveri e gli ammalati venissero accolti e curati.

Vorrei poter fare di più per questa gente, che non ha nulla e soffre per malattie facilmente curabili, se solo ci fossero i mezzi.

Vorrei smetterla di dire “vai altrove, perché non possiamo curarti”.

Anche perché andare altrove, qui, vuol dire aggiungere altra fatica, altro sudore, altro dolore, per uomini, donne e bambini che hanno già camminato per giorni interi.

E poi, andare dove?

Gli ospedali pubblici hanno poche medicine, quelli privati sono troppo costosi.

Ecco perché penso, ostinatamente, che il nostro ospedale sia un segno di speranza per questa gente. Non ci sarà tutto, ma facciamo il possibile. Anzi, l’impossibile.

Quello che mi muove, che ci muove, è la carità verso l’altro, verso tutti. Nessuno escluso.

Gesù ci ha detto di essere presenti nel più piccolo e nel più diseredato.

Questo è quello che facciamo, ogni giorno.


Fratel Beppe Gaido


Guarda il video....